Friday, July 20, 2007

On a lighter note...

I usually share my bus stop with two bulls. Today as I was walking into school four of them (herded by a ten year old girl with a stick!!) were hanging out outside the entrance ot the school. And then when I left I hung out with a sheep who had the longest horns I have ever seen.

My family also bought a hutch filled with guinea pigs for future eating. I am very happy not to be partaking in that meal.

I had my first cusquena beer yesterday, which is kind of funny considering that our house is a depository. People come at all hours of the day and night (earliest, 5am, latest, 1am) to pick up cases of beer and carry them off in blankets tied around their shoulders. Last night Sonya (four months pregnant) begged her husband to let her have a tiny bit of beer. When we all laughed at her, she just said "I´m thirsty". Ferdinand poured us all tiny glasses for a toast and we all toasted and had little sips except for sonja, who downed hers. When we all laughed at her she just said "I was thirsty."

Finally, a much needed dentist came to the school and painted the kids teeth with fluoride. I have never seen teeth so bad on such small children--black gums, teeth rotted completely out or rotted down to little stumps...it´s awful. They were all washed with fluoride and taught how to brush after having swordfights and digging around the play area with their toothbrushes. Maybe it will help?

The kids can´t believe I flew in an airplane. Planes don´t even fly overhead here because of the mountains.

I have, thankfully, four more death defying collectivo rides before I leave Peru. I am so grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.